ROSES for the WOMBAT: Yvonne’s Top 10 A+ Things about the WOMMA Conference in Florida:
10. Location, location, location. Traveling to the sunshine of Florida from the gloom and doom of Upstate NY was a real treat! Colorado Springs was…just okay. Sorry. The long walk to and from my room on the hard concret hurt my feet, but I know most attendees reveled in the great weather and the Disney focus. (Okay, I need to see a podiatrist...)
9. The diversity of the presenters and the attendees. That goes to more than the titles of the people there – it goes to the division of gender - there were LOTS of ladies - and to the personalities – it was one big party, with a purpose.
7. Good food! Breakfast was high on carbs but the snack table was fantastic! Bananas, oranges, apples, juice, and yogurt - nice change from the donuts and muffins everyone else puts out.
6. Live blogging! That’s all the rage, I know, but these bloggers were outstanding! And friendly as well as professional. Their posts had personality. (only ONE was a good friend, though all THREE are good friends, now!)
5. Having more than 3 stalls in the ladies’ rooms! WOW! A resort that understands women…I was amazed! And yet, I still had to wait in line, because there were so many women there…a testament to the power of word of mouth.
4. Presentations that actually gave relevant examples! No double-talk or business-speak. This was down-to-earth explanation…and advice.
3. Mingling…I noticed a lot of people introducing themselves, at the tables during presentations and in the hallways. I’ll bet folks left with lots of new friends. Michael D. Moore: please call or write! My dog wants to meet you!
2. Being able to put faces to names. Meeting Dana VanDen Heuvel, John Moore, Steve Rubel, Marianne Richmond, Michael Rubin, and Jackie Huba (who I did not get to meet, more’s the pity for me!)
1. And the #1 fabulous, best of all thing I loved about the WOMBAT: FREE BOOKS!