By Amanda Ponzar
My boss says she can visualize me as that kid that tumbles into the chocolate river in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Yes, I have two chocolate drawers (public and private). I’ve been known to attend meetings with chocolate smears on my clothing. I’ve found chocolate chips mashed on my desk chair. And candy wrappers litter the floor around my trash can.
So, I figured, why not share what I consider the best ways to get that chocolate fix?
- Starbucks Java Chip frappachino (or double chocolate chip if you don’t want caffeine)
- Starbucks chocolate chip cookie
- John Kelly chocolate truffle fudge bites
- Zettie’s Confections’ double chocolate browneez
- Godiva truffles (prefer chocolate covered chocolate; forget the fruity, nutty, gooey fillings)
- Ghirardelli 60% cacao chocolate baking chips and dark chocolate brownie mix
- Dove, Hershey Bliss or Hershey symphony (creamier)
- Trader Joe's dark chocolate peanut butter cups
- Trader Joe’s chocolate whoopee pies
- Oversized chocolate chip cookie cakes
- Chocolate ganache filling or chocolate silk pie
- Hot chocolate made with milk not water (then stir in Hershey’s baking coca & Nesquick; or any kind of hot chocolate mix as long as it’s non-hydrogenated oil)
- Breyer’s Smooth and Dreamy chocolate chocolate chip ice-cream (Ben & Jerry’s and others have good chocolate flavors too)
- M&Ms (go with the fun size so you can pretend you’re only going to eat one mini bag)
- Homemade chocolate chip cookies (Neiman Marcus cookie recipe with blended oatmeal)
The best chocolate has chocolate/cacao as the #1 ingredient, not sugar. The fewer and simpler the ingredients (no hydrogenated oils & weird chemicals), the better. If you read labels, some “chocolate” (like many Easter bunnies) is only “chocolate-flavored”. Don’t waste your calories; it will taste like wax.
Plus, Harvard School of Public Health research finds women who drink caffeine are 20% less depressed. This would explain why frappachinos with chocolate and caffeine are a double win -- plus much cheaper than therapy.
If you happen to overdo it on the chocolate, don’t panic. Just take a walk.