This is the last Fit by Five for 2005. Has a nice ring to it, don't you think? Fit by Five in 2005.
1. At Rosa Say's blog, Talking Story, she calls 2005 the "year of the blog." Her description of the blogosphere is so focused, Jane felt you needed to see it for yourself, "2005 has definitely been the year of the blog, and I feel so fortunate that I somehow arrived in this playground of learning and virtual community camaraderie."
We have certainly learned a lot from Rosa. We know there is still so much value to gain by including Talking Story in our daily read...we are eager to see what 2006 brings.
2. Over at Jack Yoest's blog where Business Sense, Military Precision and Timeless Truth abide, Jane is included in his year-end best marketing blog picks. If you dig deep into Jack's blog, you'll uncover some excellent writing and thought-provoking insight. Jane is honored to be among those Jack and Noah chose to spotlight.
3. We feel we must honor Josh Cohen who did such an outstanding job with this week's Carnival of the Capitalists. Once again, as we note almost every week, the Carnival is a useful introduction to new blogs, new thoughts, mind-tingling insight, and more. Check it out. You won't be sorry. [Jane especially likes this quote from his Carnival postings: “Try always to be the person your dog thinks you are.” -Jan Purnel]
4. Faithful Lip-sticking readers will know that Jane [aka Yvonne] has been invited to speak at next month's WOMBAT - word-of-mouth "basic training event," in Orlando. We were waiting to see it announced on the website before going into details. Our presentation will be on "How-to Get Women Talking." We need your help, dear readers. Jane will be focusing on blogs...and their social networking power...and how women are at the core of social networking. Prove us right - or wrong - by offering your insight into the power of blogs to get women talking. We'll mention your name...
5. It's been some time since we mentioned one of our favorite bloggers in the whole universe - Anita Campbell over at Small Business Trends. We had to include her in our final 2005 Fit by Five, for her recent post on the Top Ten Promising Small Business Opportunities for 2006. Anita is so well-connected, via her expert resources on her blog, and through her new radio show, that she exemplifies small business success. Jane applauds Anita's powerful mind - and her focus on business trends. Her advice is real and actionable. Her blog is one of the net's best business resources. We think her Top Ten is a must-read...as is everything she writes! [yes, WME Books, Yvonne's other business, is included in Anita's #2...for which we say, thank-you! that was NOT an influence in our posting this today, however.]
As the old year winds down, and the New Year fast approaches, we hope you will take time to review, dear readers. Review your moments of joy and your moments of sorrow. Think long and hard about what you hope to accomplish in 2006. Focus on what worked, not on what didn't. Use this blog, and the others mentioned here, to help you build a solid foundation to get your business moving in the right direction. Talk to the girls... we won't steer you wrong!
And, contemplate this:
He who knows not, and knows not that he knows not, is a fool...shun him.
He who knows not, and knows that he knows not, is a child...teach him.
He who knows, and knows not that he knows, is asleep...wake him.
He who knows, and knows that he knows, is wise...follow him.
What's not to like about that?