This quote from Katharine Hepburn (my second favorite actress, right behind Audrey Hepburn), is quoted here, saying, "I find a woman's point of view much grander and finer than a man's."
Kristie, for you...
1. I blog because I can. Well, that's not very informative, is it? What that means is - blogs are such a user-friendly way to have a powerful web presence, I would be crazy not to take advantage of the opportunity. It's an opportunity to share thoughts, meet new people, and create community. All things we ladies love to do - online or off. By blogging, I extend my circle by thousands.
2. I also blog because it's a way of promoting my skills and my business. I try to include the kind of information that will help others market to women online, more successfully. On other blogs that I contribute to, I write about books, or pets, or blogging. In each case, the blog is a platform - meant to convey a message. A message I would not be getting out to the right audience, in the kinds of numbers I am, any other way.
3. Let's see - why else do I blog? Because I'm a writer. It's inherent in my nature to write. My blog(s) give me a reason to write.
4. A very important reason I blog is because of wonderful people like Kristie. How else would I have met her? And been introduced to her great blog(s)? By blogging, I not only meet Kristie...I get to build a friendship. It's not just a letter or a note, asking for something (which I get in droves from PR firms)...the give and take is a conversation. With someone new. Lucky me!
5. Last, but certainly not least (sorry for the cliche'), I blog because I like to read. Blogging connects me to other people who blog -- who introduce me to new ideas, new friends, thoughtful insight into home, family, Mom, women, men, business, politics...you name it. I could read all those blogs without blogging myself...but, that would be a one-sided conversation. I like the give and take of blogging. I write, you comment. You write, I comment. Sometimes - we continue the thought in a blog post of our own...me blogging about you blogging about me, and vice-versa.
We'll be talking about all of this next Tuesday, here in Rochester, NY. Tom and I are giving a seminar on blogging, "I Link, Therefore I am." We hope to introduce the power of blogging to more local businesses. See more information at the link above.